The Case for Expanding Your Retail Business’ Instagram Presence in 2018
If you still think of Instagram as one of the newer social media platforms retailers can make use of for marketing purposes you might be in for a shock; the image-driven platform turns eight this year.
It may be that Instagram is already a part of your social media marketing plan, or perhaps you concentrate more of your current efforts on sites that are often more familiar to you like Facebook and Pinterest.
But the latest Facebook algorithm is pushing your content further and further away from your followers Newsfeeds. And Pinterest, while an excellent place for retailers to reach customers and showcase products, has an increasingly narrow demographic, with its user base being largely female – 81% – and over 30, with the median age of a user closer to 40.
If you want to reach a male market too, as well as those increasingly important Millennials and Gen Y’ers – according to Pew Research Centre’s study, most Instagram users are between 18 and 29 years of age – Instagram is a place your company should be found as well.
Not convinced? These new for 2018 Instagrams statistics may change your mind:
- 32% of the community of internet users are also Instagrammers.
- Brand engagement on Instagram is 10X that on Facebook, 54X that On Pinterest and 84X that on Twitter.
- Instagrammed videos get 2X engagement than photographs on any other social media platform.
- 90% of the top 100 brands in the world have an Instagram presence.
- Out of all Instagram users, 51% claim to use their Instagram accounts daily, while 35% admit that they check their Instagram feeds several times (up to 7 times) a day.
- According to a Louisem study, over 25% of Instagram users make $75,000 or more each year.
- 50% of all Instagram users follow at least one business account. That’s a potential audience of about 200 million active users, and 60% of the members of that audience claim to have learned about the business on the platform.
- The number of photos and videos shared on Instagram daily is roughly around 95 million.
- According to a Pew Study, your Instagram stands the most chance for engagement when it is posted on Wednesdays at 5PM.
- Instagrams with at least one relevant hashtag get 12.6% more engagement than those without any hashtags. Needless to say, the right hashtags can dramatically improve your reach and engagement on Instagram.
- In March 2017 alone, 120+ million Instagrammers acted on business CTAs by visiting websites, calling or emailing businesses. Instagram a great social media platform to entice your audience to act on your suggestions even though you are not allowed to provide them with a live link.
- Not sure which filter to use? Clarendon, Gingham and Juno/Lark are the most popular filters among Instagrammers.