Easy to Implement Facebook Contests to Boost Your Holiday Sales Campaigns
The holiday shopping countdown has begun! And as you begin to execute your holiday marketing plans you have no doubt included a social element to those plans. But is a Facebook contest among them? If not, you might want to add one and fast, according to the platform itself as 73.4 percent of Facebook users say they are very likely to share a link to a holiday contest or giveaway no matter what the prize is.
If you’re in need of some last-minute holiday-contest inspiration for Facebook, look no further. Here are some great festive social media contest ideas that you can get up and running on your brand’s Facebook page in minutes — whether you build campaigns/apps or run simple Timeline promotions.
Facebook Photo Contests
It’s not hard to get your fans to upload photos. The average Facebook user posts 217 photos of them each, every year. But there really should be a theme to them if used as a part of a contest. Here are just a few ideas:
1. Cutest Couple Photo Contest
Theme ideas: ugliest holiday sweater, best Santa Claus/Mrs. Claus or elf.
2. Christmas Tree or Fireplace Mantle Decorating Photo Contest
Theme ideas: hand-crafted ornaments, nature, patriotic, animal, retro, etc.
3. Family Photo Contest
Theme ideas: most creative and/or awkward family holiday photos.
Facebook “Essay” Contests
Brands that host contests see a 66 percent increase in contest submissions during the holidays. An essay contest is really just one that involves text rather than video or photo.
1. Recipe Contest
Ask entrants upload their favorite holiday recipe (you can also choose to require a photo for entry).
2. Storytelling Contest
Have your Facebook fans share a short description of their favorite holiday traditions.
3. Dear Santa Letter Contest
Ask entrants to write letters to Santa about why they should win your prize.
Status Updates that can Work as Timeline Promotions
Fill-in-the-blank status updates receive 182 percent more engagement than other kinds of status updates. Facebook Timeline contests are so easy because they’re really just status updates. Here are some easy to use examples that will take you through the New Year’s holiday.
Ask your fans to “Finish this.”
1. “All I want for Christmas is ______________________.“ Post the title of a gift you’re dreaming of and you’re entered to win [prize]. Winner chosen at random.
2. “The movie/song that best captures the holidays for me is ______________________.” Post the title of your favorite holiday movie or song title here and you’re entered to win [prize]. Winner chosen at random.
3. “I found out the truth about Santa Claus _________________________.” Tell us your story here and you’re entered to win [prize]. Winner chosen at random.
4. “The most memorable holiday meal I’ve ever had was when _________________________________.” Tell us your story here and you’re entered to win [prize]. Winner chosen at random.
5. “The one New Year’s resolution that I actually kept was ___________________________.” Let us know the resolution and you’re entered to win [prize]. Winner chosen at random.
6. “My 2019 New Year’s resolution is _________________________” Let us know the resolution and you’re entered to win [prize]. Winner chosen at random.
Multi-day giveaways, in which you give out prizes every day for a certain period of the month (say, “12 Days of Christmas” or “8 Days of Hanukkah”) often get the best engagement on Facebook because fans come back again and again to enter.
1. A Product-a-Day Giveaway
Line up prizes for each day of your giveaway.
2. A Promotion-a-Day Giveaway
Reveal a unique promotion code for a discount or free shipping that expires at the end of each giveaway day.
3. A Combination Giveaway
Share products and digital prizes (e.g., coupons, discounts, promo codes) throughout the duration of your multi-day giveaway.