Using eBay Buyer Requirements to Minimize Your Auction Risks
If you ever sell on eBay then you know that encountering a few bad buyers is something that experienced eBay store owners and sellers know is almost inevitable. There are a number of ways an eBay seller can at least minimize those risks though that sometimes even experienced sellers fail to use to their advantage. One of the most effective is to use the Buyer Requirement settings when placing eBay listings.
What are Buyer Requirements?
eBay allows all sellers – whether they are posting individual auctions or have an eBay store – to set Buyer Requirements for every listing they submit. These are a set of optional conditions you can add to an auction to minimize the chances that a winning bidder will not pay or will otherwise try to defraud the seller.
Available Buyer Requirements include the following:
- Blocking bids from buyers who do not have an active PayPal account – eBay does allow ‘guest bids’ these days, but you do have to wonder why someone would shop eBay without a PayPal account, as all sellers must now offer and accept it, so it may be best to be very cautious about this bidders.
- Requiring that a bidder have a certain number of positive feedbacks in order to bid – You can choose the number of feedbacks you require a bidder to have.
- Blocking bids from buyers who have an unpaid item strike.
- Blocking bids from buyers who have addresses in countries you do not ship to. One hassle that affects some sellers who do not wish to trade internationally is that often bidders fail to realize that fact before they place their bid and if they happen to win the whole transaction gets rather messy.
- You can block bidders by ID if you have had a problem with a certain buyer in the past.
Setting Buyer Requirements
If you have never done so before setting buyer requirements is very easy:
- In the My eBay tab navigate to the Site Preferences tab
- Once there select Selling Preferences> Buyer Requirements>Show
- Click Edit
- You will now be presented with a list of options. Choose the ones you want to use.
- Click submit when you are finished. You can return at any time to change your requirements again.
There are those eBay store owners who do not use these functions because they want their auctions to be available to as many people as possible. The beauty of the system though is you do not have to be too restrictive. Everyone has to start somewhere on eBay so you may be right in giving a buyer with 0 feedbacks a chance. And it may be that a buyer will only create a PayPal account once they win an auction or prefers to use a credit card. However if a person has negative feedback – or seems to leave a lot of negative feedback – or has past unpaid item strikes they are already a risk and as an eBay seller you may be better off declining their business.Koehler Home Decor is a wholesaler of home decor accessories and unique gifts. Source quality wholesale merchandise at KoehlerHomeDecor.com and find tips for promoting your business on our blog.