As mobile use continues to impact every aspect of the Internet more heavily every day, for many businesses finding new ways to reach mobile users is a priority. Heavier social media marketing is a tactic employed by many, as mobile social media use is also still growing, but it can be a very much a hit-or-miss undertaking that for some companies does not produce the greatest ROI.
However, businesses of all sizes, from Fortune 500 companies to Mom and Pop grocery stores and many. many others, are reaping the benefits of SMS – aka text message – marketing every day. Here are ten great reasons why you should consider adding text marketing to your overall promotional strategy:
- These days most people check for three essentials things before they leave home – their wallet, their keys and their cellphone. People take their cell phones with them wherever they go, and many would be lost without them. This means that an SMS text message will get to them straight away, wherever they are and whatever they are doing. No other form of advertising has so much power to reach people so quickly or to reach them so effectively.
- A traditional new ad campaign takes time to implement. A text ad has to be copy-written and proofed. A video has to be shot, edited and then uploaded to an Internet site, a process that can take hours even with the fastest Internet connection. Even social media posts take more than a few minutes to brainstorm and get right (and let’s not even get started with how time consuming social media ads can be to get right.) SMS text messaging is a very different prospect. You can craft your message in minutes and begin sending it almost immediately. It really is marketing made super easy.
- By using text message marketing you are ensuring that your messages are only being sent to people who have expressed a past interest in what you have to offer. This means no wasted time on trying to sell to a prospect that is simply not that into you, allowing you to focus all of your resources on those who are.
- Text message marketing is effective and produces a redemption rate anywhere from 20% to 70%. Compare that to print, TV, radio or direct mail, which averages a measly 1.5%.
- The immediacy. Research has shown that 90% of text messages sent out are opened – and read – by the recipient within fifteen minutes of it reaching their phone. There is no other marketing medium that can reach a prospect so directly and so quickly.
- For something that is so effective, SMS marketing is surprisingly cost effective and affordable, offering an extremely high ROI. Each text message sent costs just a penny or so to send, a price that any other form of advertising would find hard to match.
- It is not just teenagers who have a very short attention span these days, it is all of us in general. People still love receiving information, they just want to receive it as quickly as possible and in a nice direct manner, with no annoying filler and fluff. That is exactly what SMS marketing delivers, a brief, to the point message that is targeted directly to a prospect’s interest.
- Text messaging is also very easy to track. You can easily find out just how well you message converted, when it converted and that make it very easy to determine what messages are working and what messages are not.
- Creating a customer base has never been easier than it is with text message marketing. There is no need to waste money on special software to capture emails, or to send three different messages just to confirm that you have permission to send future messages, in the way you often have to with an email marketing campaign.
- Smartphone use is still exploding. Did you know that over 45% of smartphones users now access the Internet from their devices far more often than they do from a PC or laptop? Or that 85% of Americans between the ages of 18 and 65 own a cellphone, and 75% of children aged 13 – 17 do as well? Even for the over 65’s the rate of cell phone ownership – and regular use – is increasing. Whatever your niche, your customers and potential prospects are out there in the mobile universe, and SMS marketing is the perfect way to reach them.